top of page
Image by Atanas Teodosiev


Are you planning to travel with your furry friend to the EU or Northern Ireland? If so, we've got some important information for you!


Due to Brexit, there are some changes to the procedures for taking pets abroad. But don't worry, we'll guide you through it all!

If you have a current EU pet passport issued in GB, it is no longer valid for travel to the EU or NI. Instead, you'll need to take some new steps, including getting an animal health certificate (AHC) instead of a pet passport.


Don't panic, though. The process is similar to the current process for taking your pet to the EU, and we'll help you with everything you need.


To get started, you'll need to have your dog, cat or ferret microchipped and vaccinated against rabies. Your pet must be at least 12 weeks old before it can be vaccinated, and you'll need to wait 21 days after the primary vaccination before your animal health certificate (AHC) can be issued.

Image by Chris Abney

First things first

At the Vet

You'll need to take your pet to your vet to get an AHC no more than 10 days before travel to the EU or NI. Your AHC will be valid for 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU or NI, onward travel within the EU or NI for 4 months after the date of issue, and re-entry to GB for 4 months after the date of issue.


If you're travelling with your dog directly to Finland, Republic of Ireland, NI, Norway or Malta, it must have treatment against tapeworm (Echinococcus multilocularis) 1 to 5 days before arriving in any of these countries. Your vet must enter full details on the AHC following treatment.

When you're ready to travel

You'll need to enter through a designated travellers’ point of entry (TPE) and present your pet's AHC, along with proof of your pet's microchip, rabies vaccination, and tapeworm treatment (if required).


Remember, your pet will need a new AHC for each trip to the EU or NI. If your pet has an up-to-date subsequent rabies vaccination history, it will not need a repeat rabies vaccination before travelling again.

Image by Jay Wennington

When you arrive in the EU or NI

Apart from rabies, your pet is at risk of other diseases while abroad, including Leishmaniosis, Heartworm, Babesiosis, and Ehrlichiosis. Prevention is always better than cure, so please talk to us if you are going abroad, and we will advise on the best course of action.

We know this can all be a bit confusing, so if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us or visit the Gov.UK website for more information.

bottom of page